Friday, 24 March 2017

Lemon Drizzle Cake

This week, I really fancied some lemon cake. My partner and I have noticed the distinct lack of flavour in the lemon cakes here in Taiwan. With that in mind, I headed out and grabbed some lemons. Within the hour I had my lemon drizzle cake cooling off. Well, some of it... it'd be a shame to have to wait for it to cool completely before enjoying!

This recipe is so basic it's wonderful. From that first hint of lemon you get as you zest it to when it comes out the oven, your kitchen is filled with a wonderful aroma. In my case, I could even smell it on the bottom floor as I left for work. Few aromas are better.

I like to enjoy my lemon drizzle cake with a lovely cup of tea or just by itself. However, it works great as an afternoon tea cake and even better with some lemon curd.
Recipe

Ingredients:

For the cake
3 lemons zested
80g softened butter
5 eggs
140ml double cream
300g caster sugar
240g plain flour (All purpose)
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt

For the drizzle
1 lemon zest & juice
150g icing sugar

Method:
  • Beat together the lemon zest, the softened butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs followed by the cream.
  • Sift the flour, the baking powder and the salt before adding to the mix.
  • Mix well until a smooth batter. 
  • Pour the batter into a lined tin with parchment paper. 
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 40-60 minutes. 
  • Once the cake is cooked remove from the tin.
  • In a small saucepan boil together the lemon zest & juice with the icing sugar. 
  • Brush over the cake once warm so that the drizzle soaks through and is absorbed.
  • Leave the cake to cool on a drying rack. 
  • Top with some candied lemon if you have the time and you're ready to serve.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© A Tall Order | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig